Research studies show that successful marriage counseling and couple’s therapy generally require 12-20 sessions – over approximately 4-6 months. Our intensive couple’s therapy package is generally completed in half that time. And the full day intensive session that begins the process is much more effective than traditional one or two hour sessions spread across several weeks or months.
Package includes informational handouts and exercises, and Hold Me Tight, the Amazon best seller book by Dr. Sue Johnson.
1. Full Day Intensive Couple Counseling Session
Friday or Saturday – 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
o Relationship history
o Relationship difficulties
o Patterns (relationship “dance”)
o Individual histories (personal & family background; prior relationships)
o Relationship goals
o Educational information & relationship tools
o Feedback and discussion
2. 6 Follow-Up Couple Counseling Sessions
Each session 90 minutes in length
o Sessions generally scheduled weekly or biweekly
o Focus on relationship patterns (dance), and the feelings and needs that drive the dance
o Educational information & relationship tools as needed
o De-escalate patterns of blame, anger, and fighting
o Reconnection – to build trust, intimacy, and partnership
o Special issues addressed (such as infidelity, sexual problems, & parenting issues)
Please note that all 6 sessions must be completed within 6 months of the Friday or Saturday session.
3. Couples Therapy Staff
o Follow-up sessions conducted either by Richard Loebl, Karin Witte, or Greg Douglas, LMHC
o All staff have advanced training and experience in couples therapy (primarily EFT – Emotionally Focused Therapy, and the Gottman Method).
4. Package Price
o Friday Intensive Package – $2595…………….(8 hours on Friday + six 90-minute follow-up sessions)
o Saturday Intensive Package – $3275…………(8 hours on Saturday + six 90-minute follow-up sessions)
o Payable in advance by credit card or personal check
Payments and Cancellations: A deposit of 50% (or full payment if preferred) is required at least one month prior to scheduled program. Full payment is due no later than 2 weeks prior to scheduled program. Full refunds will be granted if cancellation is made more than one full month prior to scheduled program. 25% of the 50% deposit will be refunded up to 2 weeks prior to scheduled program. Refunds cannot be granted within the 2 week period prior to scheduled program.
There will be no refunds for follow-up sessions not used after 6 months. Follow-up sessions canceled with less than 48 hours notice will be forfeited. Additional follow-up sessions may be scheduled for an additional fee.
Relationships can be challenging and even painful at times. Relationships suffer when there’s too much conflict, fighting, and resentment – and sometimes the walls go up with emotional and physical distance. The powerful feelings we experience in distressed relationships are universal. We may react with blame, anger and shutting down. Then our spouse or partner reacts to the anger and distance, and this creates a relationship “dance”. The specific problem areas that we address in brief intensive couple’s therapy include
* Conflict, power struggles, and angry escalations
* Patterns of complaining, blaming, and defensive reactions
* Shutting down, emotional and physical distance, and lack of communication
* Intimacy and sexual problems
* Infidelity and affairs (including problems like “sexual addiction”)
* Trust issues, insecurities, feelings of betrayal
* Parenting issues (including problems in blended families – children from a prior marriage)
Our approach to relationship distress is based in the new science of love and relationships. Recent advances in neurology (“brain science”), and research studies of relationship and marital satisfaction show us that our brains are hard-wired for a deep level of emotional attachment to others.
“This program is something that any couple can truly benefit from, no matter how young, old, new or ongoing your relationship is. It awakens the connection and the love between partners that can sometimes get buried and forgotten…” T.B.
We provide state of the art counseling methods, based on current scientific research, to guide couples with concern and compassion. Our methods are derived primarily from EFT – Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy, developed by Dr. Sue Johnson. Research studies show that EFT is the most effective form of couple therapy today. Like EFT we use a 3 Stage model that includes
1. Assess, De-escalate, Reconnect – Identify specific problems and relationship patterns (dance), and the underlying feelings and unmet needs that drive the dance. Reduce conflict and begin productive communication.
2. Relationship Repair – Structure new relationship patterns so that partners can identify and understand each-other’s feelings and needs. Partners then practice acceptance, empathy, and emotional connection. When there has been infidelity or other breaches of trust, this stage includes methods for healing emotional injuries and re-establishing trust.
3. Partnership & Creative Solutions – We help couples foster trust and collaboration with new communication patterns and problem solving methods. Loving bonds are maintained with new conversations about core feelings and basic needs. New solutions to old problems creatively evolve from these conversations.
Throughout this process, couples are guided through several corrective emotional experiences. These powerful emotional experiences are the most healing aspects of our program. Our primary goal is to facilitate these vital moments of change for couples. Other goals include improving communication, learning how to argue productively, and improving all aspects of intimacy.
Please contact us today for more information about our brief intensive couple’s therapy package.