Eating disorders are serious emotional and physical conditions that can become life threatening to both men and women.
If you have problems with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, or a distorted body image, our eating disorder specialists have the answers you need.
Eating disorders are abnormal and unhealthy habits related to eating, food restriction, and normal weight maintenance. These are three major types of eating disorders and their primary symptoms:
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Healthy body weight is not maintained
- Food is restricted
- Obsessive fear of gaining weight
- Distorted body image and low self-esteem related to weight
- Binging-Purging Sub-type (intentional vomiting & use of laxatives)
- Denial of seriousness of condition
- Absence of menstrual cycles
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Frequent episodes of binge eating
- Unhealthy behaviors to prevent weight gain (such as vomiting, fasting, excessive exercise)
- Poor body image and self-esteem related to appearance
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Binge eating without compensatory behaviors (such as purging)
- Feeling out of control with eating (& eating when not hungry)
- Feelings of guilt and shame associated with the binge eating
Treatment for eating disorders is essential and often highly effective.
Professionals available here at the Relationship Center have many years of advanced training and experience in treating all types of eating disorders and body image issues.
Research studies show that psychotherapy is the most effective treatment for eating disorders, along with any required medical and nutritional care. The eating disorders specialists at our Center have advanced training and experience in the most effective forms of therapy, including
- Interpersonal psychotherapy
- CBT (Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy)
- Nutritional counseling
- Family Therapy (when necessary)
- Referral for medication evaluation (as appropriate)
Contact our Center today to learn more about therapy for eating disorders, and to arrange for a consultation.